At Emergent, our aim is to build cutting edge games and experiences across multiple platforms.
Our mission is to create rich gaming worlds and captivating player experiences that are based on blockchain technology. We intend to combine the best video games have to offer with the exciting opportunities that blockchain offers to players.
We aim to define what blockchain gaming means to our players and intend to bring our heritage in animation, games development, film production, art and storytelling to bear. We want to produce and market the best games in this space.
Our games will be an adventure: both to make and to experience. Every member of the team must be curious: to try new things, to experiment and to seek out fresh ideas and ways of solving challenges that bring to life our collective ideas.
To tell better stories and create inclusive experiences we welcome everyone, especially from under-represented people in our industry whose stories aren’t told often enough. At Emergent your race, colour, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, mental health, pregnancy, marital status or your family status, are all aspects of who you are, and they deserve our consideration and recognition.
While Emergent is a diverse and eclectic bunch of people, we subscribe to some core business values. If you feel you can get behind these, please apply (if you don’t then you shouldn’t):
- We are optimistic & brave
- We are honest & open
- We take ownership & responsibility
We have an exciting opportunity for a Lead Designer. We are looking for an individual who is keen to help us build a strong, fast-paced and agile team to create our very first block chain game. If you are a strong creative leader who is driven with great communication skills, strong problem solving, thrive on teamwork, value open and honest feedback and have a growth mindset, then you are probably someone we would like to talk to!
Here are a few things that we feel would be of advantage in this role:
- Deep experience of MMO RPG game design principles – from social engagement, economics, user journey analysis and story-telling
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills
- An interest and enthusiasm for crypto and blockchain technology
- A proven track record in a creative leadership role to enable you to mentor, direct and advise the team at all levels and disciplines
- Able to follow instructions & react quickly to feedback
- Able to handle shifting schedules, priorities, & multiple projects
- Show exceptional attention to detail in your work
- Be willing to learn, take on new responsibilities and evolve your skill set
- Ability to think quickly and help the production management team to solve problems
- Be a team player with excellent communication skills who is professional at all times
- Willing to pass on knowledge and inspire the people around you
- Be an ambassador for Emergent and its brand inside and outside of workplace
- Helping the business grow through the success of its games and other projects.
- Be willing to help and provide support to other functions of the business including Marketing/General Studio Operations and possibly travel and work remotely to support the overall business objectives.
Please note, if you don’t meet all of these requirements, but feel strongly about this role, we’d still like to hear from you. We value personality and not just experience. We very much would like to hear from applicants of a diverse background, as we are always striving to create a balanced and cognitively diverse team.
As the Lead Designer you will report into the Creative Director and will help build a diverse and talented team to deliver the game. You will be working with artists, programmers and production to deliver on the vision provided by the Creative Director and Executive Producer. You will be working in Unreal and interfacing and you will be responsible for the delivery of the player experience across client and other media.
The day to day will consist of providing direction to the other designers helping manage the sprints and defining the deliverables for each sprint. You will be providing support to the design teams as their line manager, helping them meet their daily responsibilities. This is a hands-on role and you will be designing and delivering features of your own for each sprint, leading development from the front.
Help in the creation of blockchain games from the concept sketch to published product. This may include:
- Building and crafting engaging experience using Unreal tools
- Draft prototyping of game mechanics/ideas
- Deep understanding of user journey design and analysis and user interface design
- Time/Task management & logging your progress using project management software
- Ensure overall quality of the games developed and offer concise/constructive feedback to colleagues.
- Work to clear and defined milestones and flag up any issues to the production/management team.
- Source suitable reference materials and research to support briefs provided, including competitive analysis of other games
- Research new software and industry techniques and share with the studio teams
- Participate in relevant client meetings and offer construction feedback and suggestions
- Participate in idea generation sessions and workshops
- Monitor, communicate and apply quality standards where necessary
- Bug testing of games and general QA
- Experience with Unreal tools and workflows
- Familiarity with Agile working practises – specifically using Jira and Confluence
- Knowledge of source control systems
- Experience in analytics and data to inform smart design choice to improve engagement